The chapel, in its present form, was built in 1681 by a member of the Prack zu Asch family at Angerburg Castle. According to an old local legend, the lord of the castle lived a life of excess and, as punishment, a child was born to him with the body of a dog and the face of a human. He vowed to build a chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary if the child died. This legend is still commemorated today by a fresco depicting the dog with a human face.
Originally, the chapel housed a wooden sculpture of the Virgin Mary and the Christ Child, dating from the late 15th century and showing the influence of the artist Michael Pacher. In the past, the Feast of the Visitation of Mary, celebrated on 2 July, was observed here with great solemnity as the traditional “Stöcklkirchtag.”